Well folks, the votes are in and it appears that the apprehension that fans felt due to re-shoot rumors among other reported challenges on the set of Fantastic Four were justified. The film has had a record breaking weekend but not in the way that Fox had hoped. At the time of publication Fantastic Four has 151 reviews counted and an unfortunate score (to say the least) of 9%. Other stats below:
Average Rating: 3.4/10
Reviews Counted: 151
How does this compare to other not-so-loved Marvel titles, you may ask? List compiled by screenrant below:
- Electra (2005) – 10%
- Howard The Duck (1986) – 14%
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012) – 17%
- Blade: Trinity (2004) – 25%
- Ghost Rider (2007) – 26%
- Punisher: War Zone (2008) – 27%
- Fantastic Four (2005) – 27%
- The Punisher (1989) – 28%
- The Punisher (2004) – 29%
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) – 37%
In other words, Fantastic Four currently sits as the worst reviewed Marvel movie ever (as per Rotten Tomatoes).
The above titles are a stark contrast to some of the more recent Marvel releases that have been leaving fans more than satisfied, such as Marvel’s The Avengers (92%) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (91%). What does this mean for the Fantastic Four? Will fox give it another try? Let their rights to the IP expire in ten years? Sell them back to Marvel? Only time will tell.